Day Eleven

Today is Day Eleven since being turned on. Given the timing of deafness (age 28 months) and length (33 years) my brain needs time to build nerve pathways to allow sounds to come in clearly. I continue to have wrinkles, or disruption of silence. In my mind’s eye I have a mental image of a vu meter. The needle swings whenever a sound registers in my brain. I know progress is being made, because I am starting to register high pitch sounds, but each sound is just a wrinkle at this time. 

If I am at a same timeline as babies, I am guessing that week 6 I may start to hear more. I am told babies start to babble around this time. Perhaps this is an indication that their brain has developed to the point that they can respond to sound stimuli. This helps me to think long-term. I hope soon my brain will be wired for hearing sounds. 

I continue with my daily therapy of read-alouds either by myself or with friends. Sitting in a quiet room for read-alouds triggers a lot of wrinkles in my head and I feel tired after 15 minutes of listening. The primary goal at this time is to be exposed to auditory language.